Yesterday I was in the serious doldrums. Oh my gosh, I haven’t felt that depressed since….well, I can’t really remember when. I’ve had dips in my sunny disposition, but nothing like the raincloud following me around, much like Joe Btfsplk from the Li’l Abner comic strip – and yes, I’m dating myself. You young ones, check Wikipedia, or click HERE to learn more about the clever, sartorial world of Dogpatch, USA.
Maybe it was something in the air; maybe it had to do with Uranus going retrograde, or the fact that there are two eclipses on the horizon in August, or Mercury scheduled to go retrograde August 12th. All I know is I had a very dark night of the soul for the entire day. Here I am, 67 years old, building a business. The question foremost on my mind yesterday was “Why?” Why am I putting myself out there, when I could be playing with my puppies and horses, and weeding the yard, and learning to cook really good meals and can cherry preserves, and reading good books? Yesterday I didn’t really have an answer.
Today, however, Joe Btfsplk and his cloud seem to have moved a little further away, and thankful that my doldrums were only the 24-hour variety, clarity has returned. Here’s “Why”.
- I would go stark raving bonkers if I didn’t have some sort of purpose other than trying for the stay-at-home-worker-bee-of-the-century award.
- I love animals. All animals, even bugs and snakes.
- Said animals have a lot to teach us, and they need spokespeople (the more the better).
- I can hear/see/feel them. It’s a gift. And this is one gift I feel compelled to use, and share with others.
- My greatest joy comes in interacting with animals and their people, and sharing an animal’s insights with their caretaker. Those are some fantastic conversations, and I don’t want to miss them, or miss being able to facilitate them.
- If one conversation changes one person’s thoughts for the better about what animals are all about, I’ve fulfilled my mission, and the world just achieved a little extra glitter. This is my purpose; this is my passion. I am so blessed.
I forgot all that yesterday, while I was wallowing. I am so grateful that today it has all come back to me, and I can once again move forward.
Everyone has a purpose, whether it is being the best mom of the century, running a multi-million dollar company, or reading to children. If it is what makes our heart beat, has us jumping out of bed eager for the day and happy to be alive, then that is what we are meant to do. Let’s do it.